Thursday, June 28, 2012

Blog Post #9

What I've Learned

"What I Have Learned 08-09" was very eye opening. I related to him in the "how to read the crowd" section because I felt the same way my first year of teaching. I was so worried what my boss would think of me and other teachers that I didn't focus on the students at first. But as time went on, I started figuring out that my kids are more important. Being flexible is so true too. Being a teacher for only 2 years, I can see where the lessons are never perfect! You sometimes have to do whatever you can to keep the attention of the students. Communication is definitely key to a great environment! I love sending notes to parents-positive notes that is! I do not like talking on the phone much to anyone, but it is the most effective way to get your point across. I have been working on that! I definitely can relate to being reasonable. I had to encourage lots of 5 year olds when I was teaching. They get their feelings hurt so bad if they can't do something as well as another student. It would break my heart. But I was there to cheer them on so I did! I used a board called the Mimio when I was teaching and that was really the only technology we had besides 3 computers for the kids to do Accelerated Reader on. I liked it but it didn't work as smoothly as the SMARTboard. I am always a good listener even to my husband and family. I love the little note from his student! I think parents don't take enough time with their children to LISTEN, and most kids eat it up in school because teachers WILL take the time. I love it how he says never stop learning! I agree 110%!!! No matter how old you are, or what you are doing, you can always learn more!!

"What I Have Learned 10-11" was great!! Love this "Our decision making process should always be student centered and not centered around pleasing adults." I have been working on this too just in life. I try to focus on my own life and husband and daughter. We know we aren't perfect and nobody is so we just live our life and cherish every moment! I am learning that everyone has an opinion (like I didn't already know) about education. I think some people are negative about change and just don't like it! Teachers are so used to do doing the same things over and over they never get creative or allow their students to see the fun part. The older teachers usually do this and they need to take EDM 310!! :) I love the outsider section. I know I'm not an outsider. I loved eating lunch with my babies! They are so fun to talk to and have the best stories! They always made me laugh! Oh don't ever touch the keyboard while training someone is great advice! So true and you see that everywhere! I have to remember that. Getting comfortable is normal. I know I did it but I am ready and so motivated to go back and find a ton of new lessons and interactions for the students! I loved his posts!

11 comments:

  1. Hey Courtney,

    I enjoyed reading your blog post! I found Mr. McClung's tips helpful; I will put them to use in my future classroom. It is awesome that you can relate to what he is saying because you have already been there. I plan to remember some of your tips as well for my classroom.

    I definitely agree with you and Mr. McClung that you should never stop learning! I think you're right, older teachers DO need to take EDM 310! Hopefully your school will get on board with the rest of the world and provide your classroom with better technology. Good Luck!

    Ashley Earnest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,

    You still need alt and title modifiers on your pictures. I am glad you found Mr. McClung's blog so interesting! He definitely has some good advice to share. I am sure your time spent in the classroom helped you to compare his experiences to the experiences of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Elizabeth! I added them but they were typed incorrectly! Thanks! I fixed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOD! It's gone!!! What did I do???? Help!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try going back and looking at your draft posts.

      Delete
  5. Not there. Did any of you get it in a email?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have not. I haven't seen this happen before. I tried to research it online and one person said that the autosave feature is disabled if you have HTML code written incorrectly. I do not know if this is what caused it or not. It is a long stretch, but try going in to edit your post and hit "ctrl" and "z" at the same time if you have a PC and "command" and "z" if you have a Mac. Keep pressing that and see if your old post comes back.

      Delete
    2. It shows an error when the HTML code is incorrect so I didn't see that on there. Oh well, thanks for trying to help. I can just redo it. The "ctrl+z" didn't work.

      Delete
    3. Ah, well I am sorry...I really do not know what happened!

      Delete
  6. YAY!!! Dr. Strange found my lost text! Thanks again! I feel much better! Isn't that the perfect picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great!! How did he fix it? I am curious to know. It is perfect!

      Delete