Thursday, June 28, 2012

Blog Post #8

Dreaming

1. "This is How We Dream" was so interesting to me. I love how Mr. Miller describes technology as so many things. One being, how we get to "communicate globally." I love that expression because it's so true. We can now talk to anyone and everyone around the world thanks to Skype and many more softwares I'm probably oblivious to! Also, he says how we work, research, publish, upload images, produce film, produce sound and visual documents and so much more on the computer that's it; hard not to be knowledgeable about technology. I definitely agree with him that everyone pretty much uses technology in their everyday life. I think it should be in all classrooms around the world and should be used daily for most of the day. I also caught him saying it's a way of "sharing knowledge infinitely" and it truly is! Where would the world be if we didn't have technology? I think it would be scary to even think that!

Part 2 of "This is How We Dream" was great too! It really intrigued me at how quickly technology changes. Mr. Miller said it changes in front our eyes. I think it does too and without us even knowing! How can people be more aware of the changes going on? I don't read the news, or even pay attention to the TV most of the time. I am so wrapped up in other things it's hard to keep up! So how do you suggest we keep up with all these changes in technology and learn how to use them? I know it helps to explore on our own but how are we supposed to know where to go, what to do, who to ask for help? I love how Mr. Miller says as educators we must share ideas freely. I totally agree with that. As teachers, we must share with our co-workers the ideas that worked best and what ideas didn't work so well. I think that is a huge factor when teaching. You must collaborate with the other teachers on your grade level about the best lessons or techniques for the students.

I really foresee technology becoming, if it's not already, the center of our universe! It's everywhere you look! Everyone of all ages use it! I think it's an amazing resource for everyone, whether it be working in your business, or just personally using it for your own photos or whatever. I love it and all the updated gadgets it offers! I love learning new things and how to do new things on different types of technology. Teachers have a huge advantage because they get to see the newest technologies and teach their students how to use them along with themselves. The world is changing for the better and that's because of technology and all it has to offer!

I am getting prepared to use multimedia by taking this course. I really have learned so much in just a few weeks! I love working on the computer and creating new things and even learning how to do what seems like the impossible. It's amazing how much there is to do and create on a computer, especially the Mac! I definitely want one now! I love iMovie and iPhoto and being a photographer I will certainly have to save up to invest in a Mac very soon! I honestly think my students would be able to use multimedia too if I provided the tools necessary! They would have to spend time on it and learn to explore it by searching about what the programs had to offer. I look forward to using all types of multimedia in my classroom to create some pretty cool things! I want to be that teacher that opens new doors for my students by showing them that there are endless opportunities out there!

2. Carly Pugh's blog post #12 was somewhat confusing to me when she was talking about the playlist. She had great ideas within her posts though! I think Kindergarten students would love hands on and visual lessons and I will explore more about those when I go back to teaching! I do love the philosophy lesson. All teachers should think about that before they teach! I agree with her!

3. Chipper's video was basically about the student who procrastinates with every thing and always has an excuse. She sounds like a lazy person who does nothing to be ambitious. She takes whatever she can get as in a job and then blames others for her own faults and weaknesses. She has job after job and never applies herself at any of them. She isn't motivated to do well in school which leads to all these jobs. Then she wants to go back to school towards the end and says she is willing to apply herself this time.

"EDM 310 For Dummies" is so brilliant! That would be pretty smart to make a book! But no, seriously, I have found it quite simple to complete these assignments. It's not difficult as long as you don't procrastinate! I enjoy learning new things and watching motivating videos that inspire us to become better educators and people. I have made new friends and everyone is so willing to help each other when needed. So it has been a great experience so far!

4. "Learn to Change, Change to Learn" was very informative. Change is way past due in the classrooms. I feel like we should be way more advanced than other countries when it comes to technology. We should have iPads, Smartboards, skype, iMovie, etc in ALL classrooms!! The arguments are legit. I feel like technology is so advanced and will definitely bring out the skills and talents children have. It will make them so much more creative because the possibilities are endless! Children need to be introduced to all of these technologies. Teachers do too! I really hope it happens soon. I will definitely share what I know when I'm in the classroom! We have to start somewhere!

5. I created an Edmodo account and I can use this tool as a teacher by communicating with my students. I can also assign things on there. I could give a quiz, or even take a poll! This is a very useful tool! Also, I can connect with other teachers! That is pretty amazing! I can create groups if I only want to address certain students in an email or discussion. I can also create groups for projects. I can even upload links and files to a library! Also, I can share in Google Docs. I see a grade book as well which I really like and a calendar! I always write stuff down and have a "to do" list so this is pretty amazing!!

Animoto is an awesome video tool! You can create videos from your wedding, baby, or even something with teaching a lesson! You can add music and make it high definition! And of course, you can share it with the world! Love this!


I created a poll on polleverywhere.com. Take a look!

3 comments:

  1. Courtney you have done an amazing job creating and keeping up with your blog! I love the background and all the great pictures you have posted. As far as Carly Pugh's video, I agree with you on it being a little confusing in some matters; however, like you said I loved her point on having future teachers do some much needed research on their philosophy as a future leader. Is it not unreal how the entire world is turning into a digital system to where every aspect in our everyday lives has been made easier. I, like yourself love to learn new things and I feel EDM310 has definitely achieved that goal for many of us! You are correct, as long as we do not procrastinate our work should come fairly simple to us all. Keep up the good work on your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney. Your blog looks great and I have really enjoyed reading it. I agree with what you said in reply to the EDM 310 for Dummies video. While this class is a challenge, it is not impossible to get everything done on time. That is if you don't procrastinate.

    By reading what you had to say about the Learn to Change, Change to Learn video, it sounds like you are quite passionate about incorporating technology into the classroom. I also think that it is important to keep the classrooms updated with technology.
    I also created an Edmodo account. It does seem very useful. There are so many ways for teachers to communicate with their students outside of the classroom. Good job on this post and good luck on the rest of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney,

    Good post. You clearly see the importance of technology, not only in education, but in our everyday life. I am glad you like learning new things because this is what constitutes a good teacher! By the way, I noticed you are missing alt and title modifiers on your picture this week!

    ReplyDelete