Sunday, June 24, 2012

Blog Post #7

Networking

1. "The Networked Student" was basically another way of explaining our course, EDM 310. It was a concept map of how students use technology to create blogs, web searches, and how to use lots of other gadgets. I think the teacher isn't needed as much because the students aren't learning from the teacher, they are learning from what they find on their own. The teacher just assigns things and the students have to create, find and do it all on their own. It is great! They learn a lot and find things out they never even knew. I certainly have found out so much by taking this course that I never knew existed! The networked student doesn't need a teacher in my opinion. All the answers are on the internet already! All you have to do is Google it, right? That's the answer to everything now! It's so crazy to me how everything is online and done on the computer! My sweet dad called the other day and said Wal-Mart wasn't developing film anymore and how he would one day own a digital camera! He wouldn't have a clue about any of these technologies we have learned.

Networking is such an advantage in everyday life. People can get online and find people they haven't seen or spoke to in years! You can connect with so many people all across the world. I think students should relate to each other and compare cultures and their schooling online by Skype or another source of talking to one another. I think businesses network online because the internet is accessible in most places now and it's a great way to advertise. Also, people can give feedback on the business or service. It's all about sharing with one another on the internet and exploring what else is out there. Facebook, Twitter and Skype are so popular and very entertaining. It's like the world rotates on the internet!

Teachers and students will have so much to learn every school year about new technologies and how we, as teachers, can strengthen our students' skills and abilities on these new technologies. I look forward to learning about more technologies and how we can use them to our advantage in teaching. The world is changing to be a better place and a lot more advanced than ever and we get to see it firsthand because we are the ones supposed to be teaching our students how to use it. But, the networked student would teach himself right? That's even better but what happens to our teaching jobs? Something to think about and what profession we want to pursue. Exciting, yet scary!

2. "7th Grader's PLN" video was pretty cool! She was so motivated and engaged about her work and how she does her assignments. More children should be like that! I love the Symbaloo website and think most kids would too! I will definitely use that in my classroom! I think we both listed a lot of our common interests and websites we use daily. She had a lot of her assignments listed which I thought was wonderful to share with everyone. She is very confident in her work and is a great speaker! Her PLE was well organized like mine. I liked the one page document website that you could put audio, text, and images on too. I need to remember that one for future reference! Great video and she was super cute at how excited she was to share all of her work and findings!

3. "Thomas Suarez's Video" was too cute! He is such an intelligent little boy! I learned that we can do anything we put our minds to! If you want to create an app, there is a way! He did it and so can we! He had a vision and great ideas and wanted to share it with the world so he did! In order to do something, you must analyze and research on how to! I love his motivation and sense of humor! Glad I had the opportunity to watch this video! He makes me want to be a better person in education and to always achieve your dreams!

2 comments:

  1. Courtney,

    Good post. Our role as educators is certainly changing now that we have reached the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,

    Great post! I agree EDM 310 is preparing us to become a networking student, but without a teacher the student does not have someone holding them accountable. That is interesting about your dad I agree our parents and people in their generation would have difficulty learning all of the technologies.
    I really enjoyed learning about Thomas Suarez as well. He was very interesting, smart, and courageous little boy. I also loved the idea he was teaching his peers how to create apps as well. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete