Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Blog Post #4

Smartboard



First, I read 1st Graders Create Their Own Audio Read-Along Book." In this article, Mrs. Langwitches showed us how she created booklets from the scripts of a book the class was reading and how the children could use it to follow along. Also they would know the chapter had ended when they heard this certain sound. Mrs. Langwitches thoughts told us how the children were so excited to record their own part because they started experimenting with their voices and how they could change the speed and emotions. Mrs. Langwitches wanted to take the next steps in creating a "How-To" blog or email for parents. It would show them how to download the podcast episode to their iTunes on their home computers. Also, she wanted to see if the library could start keeping the podcasts on an audio file so it's accessible to all students. I love this idea! I had no idea what a podcast was or how it was created until I read these articles. This is amazing that these kids get to learn these skills at such an early age. Mrs. Langwitches is a brilliant teacher and motivator for letting these kids be creative and be independent. I hope I can do the same in my future classrooms.

Next, I read Podcasting With 1st Grade." It was so heart warming to see the children so excited to be able to record their own voices. Mrs. Langwitches said they would do class chants in certain parts of the podcasts, which they enjoyed as well. Then, some students would record indepently while the class was doing another assignment or the teacher was reading to the class. I thought that was pretty cool that the teacher trusts the kids to do it independently and that the kids were able to do it that way. Also, I like the part where she said it helped the shy kids come out of their shell. I was an extremely shy kid growing up and if we would have had this to help us communicate, I think I wouldn't have been so shy for so long. I think it was a great idea to let the kids record one sentence at a time and out of order. That way they would have to come together and think of the order of the story. This just amazes me that they have these technologies and now have the skills to make something like this. I am impressed! Also, by making a podcast, students build confidence and expression of their voice. They become more animated and ready to talk about anything! The skills being taught are listening, speaking, presenting, comprehension (which I had trouble with), storytelling, performance, voice acting, oral fluency, media and technology. WOW! Just by doing this one project, children gain so much!

The last article I read was Listening-Comprehension-Podcasting." I wish I would have had this when I was elementary school. I know I would be more confident in reading and writing. This article was telling us that podcasts are wonderful for language learners by seeing their voices, reading sounds, manipulating sequences, and being able to delete, edit and emphasize their sounds. I loved how they would use the smartboard to put all the sentences everyone recorded in order. They are using more technology to sequence the story. These children will be able to do so much and teach their parents and peers all these different skills they know just because of one teacher. I love that and I hope one day I can make a huge difference in education like Mrs. Langwitches.

2 comments:

  1. I too hope to make a huge difference like Mrs. Langwitches. Her uncanny ability to aid students in their growth through technology is among one of the best qualities a teacher can have. Through her lessons you said you were encouraged by the excitement of the students, this touched me as well. For a student to be so excited about learning and creating their own master piece is great, I too hope that I can create this atmosphere for my future students. I hope i will have access to a smartboard in my future classroom, this device seems like it would be a great addition to the students learning environment as well as enhance credibility. In reading your blog, I found little to no gramatical errors, I enjoy reading all of your posts. I feel we both have the same views on education as well as teacher expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Courtney,

    Haha, "Mrs. Langwitches" is actually Silvia Tolisano. :D Good work with the post though. You've got the alt and title modifiers under control, I see. Great! I'm so proud. I hope your hope comes true too. We need more teachers like Ms. Tolisano.

    ReplyDelete