Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Blog Post#10

PC vs Mac

The image above is comparing a PC to a Mac which signifies an older version of technology to a newer version of technology. Basically I think it's saying why not spend a little more for a better quality of learning rather than just stick to a cheaper and older version because that is what we are used to. I think it's very symbolic and means that we as educators need to invest in bigger and better things in order for our students to have the best there is. Macs are much better than PCs in my opinion because there are so many updated softwares on it and so much to learn and explore. I definitely would buy a Mac if I could and hope to have one in my classroom for me to use as a teacher.

Revised: The cartoon is comparing a PC (Papermate) to a Mac (Ticonderoga.) In general they are so much different. The Mac has so many more programs and gadgets on it. I think the Mac has more to offer for the world now in this century than the PC does. I don’t really understand what else it’s saying. I think the cartoon is confusing and a lot of people don’t get the illustrator’s sense of humor, especially me. Maybe I’m just not a technology buff because I feel like I haven’t kept up with all the Apple news like I should have been. Oops!

2. "Why Were Your Kids Playing Games?" was great. I thought it was crazy how the year of the Fiasco the principal was talking about was 1895. Wow that was a long time ago and he is still talking about that? This is what is wrong with education! Too many old supervisors in the school systems who don't have a clue about technology advances! These older educators need to retire and leave it up to the young or new teachers who have had the most recent technology classes to educate the others about what we've learned! We need to help each other do this and spread the word of everything we've learned so far. This conversation about rote memorization is just nonsense. Memorizing doesn't teach us anything! As soon as we take the test, we forget all about what we memorized. People like Mr. Spencer need to push technology as much as they can to get in the doors of schools all around the world, especially the US! I don't think the title means exactly what it says. The kids weren't playing games. They were learning about technology uses by learning to use the skills needed in order to create mocks. They also were reading different scenarios and describing their solutions so it wasn't a game like the principal thought.

REVISED: I chose "Remember Pencil Quests?" to read and I think that is just saying how once as a sophomore his teacher told them they were going on a "Pencil Quest" and he thought a "quest" would be more of an adventure, than a pencil and paper walk. I think he was misled to think that because his teacher could have been more creative with the so-called quest. She could have had them record or collect pictures of the sites and produce a presentation about them instead of answer questions about them like a quiz. They could have done a lot more things with the sites rather than write answers on paper. Technology needs to be taken advantage of and so many teachers are clueless (I'm not as bad as some) as to what options they have and what their students can learn!

3. I see both sides of this argument. I am a mother to a 3 year old and very over protective so I can only imagine how protective I will be when she gets to start being on the internet. I am so scared of all the bad things that she can find, see or do on here but then again I know she can and WILL learn so much by exploring and reading lots of good blogs, and websites. There are ways to control what she will be able to view of course so I guess that's good too. But I definitely want her to be taught on the computer, rather than in a classroom with paper and pencil writing definitions. I really hope the school system has all these technologies available to her when she starts school. We can only hope!
REVISED: Also, I want her to be computer literate as much as possible and be able to do everything I can do on a computer. I want her to see the world and other classrooms through Skype, and learn how to make movies and presentations on her own. I want her to be exposed to the newest technologies as they are created! I love that I know so much more than I used to know a few months ago thanks to this class. I am excited to teach her all about this world. She uses my iPhone already and can operate it better than most adults. Everyone is always amazed at how smart she is so I'd love to keep her on that track with technology!


Scott McLeod is a writer, blogger, CASTLE director, idea generator, solution builder, agitator, and a catalyst. He is one of the nation's leading experts on K-12 school technology leadership issues. He is the founding director of UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE) which is the nation's only academic center dedicated to the technology needs of school administrators, and was a co-creator of the video series "Did You Know? Shift Happens." He has received numerous national awards for his technology leadership work. He also has a website named Dangerously Irrelevant.(Source: Wikipedia) Wow! He is a smart technology man and someone to keep in mind for future references of any technology questions or needs!

4 comments:

  1. Courtney,
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I didn't get the fact they were comparing a Mac and PC until I looked on a classmate's blog. Thanks to the world of sharing :) As far as Mr. Spencer's blog entry I think you may have missed the fact that the blog was meant to be set in a different time period. The whole blog is set up that way on purpose. The guys talks about "pencils" but really he means computers. I didn't realize this until I really got hooked on reading his other posts within the blog. I must admit, Mr. McLeod isn't my favorite. A little too sarcastic for me, and I think he is a bit liberal when it comes to protecting our children against what is out there. I think the answer is maintaining a balance. I have a three year old as well and took her for her 3 year check up this morning. Dr. Sands stressed that she should not be watching more than two hours of tv or using the computer. I was relieved to hear this because I don't think she should be either. It's all about a balance, and I don't know about you, but I love technology but don't want it to become Isabella's world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey yes I did get it that he was talking about computers not pencils. Lol and yes definitely don't let my daughter watch more than that! She is too smart and wants to be outside a lot more than watching tv. Plus Ive watching tv too much can cause ADD. Not sure if it's true. Anyways, thanks for te comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney,

    Refer to Dr. Strange's post about this particular blog assignment. Also, you HAVE to be sure to give reference and credit to the website you got the biographical information on Scott McLeod that you basically pasted at the end of this post. It is OK to use it, just give credit!

    ReplyDelete